Being a victim of crime sometimes means you have experienced trauma. Your reactions are normal and are a natural part of dealing with a crime.
This video explains more about reacting to and dealing with a traumatic event like a crime.
Thank you to cohealth and the Western Metro Victims Assistance Program in Victoria for sharing their video with us.
Ways of coping
Everyone has their own way of coping with crime. You may find it helpful to:
- talk about how you feel with someone you trust
- structure your life as much as possible
- defer major life decisions where possible
- accept that you will have good days and bad days
- do nice things for yourself
- eat regularly and nutritiously
- maintain or increase your physical exercise
- limit the use of alcohol and drugs
- keep a journal
- be kind and gentle with yourself.
There are many different types of crime – but every crime has a victim.