Being a victim of crime sometimes means you have experienced trauma. Your reactions are normal and are a natural part of dealing with a crime.
Ways of coping
Everyone has their own way of coping with crime. You may find it helpful to:
- talk about how you feel with someone you trust
- structure your life as much as possible
- defer major life decisions where possible
- accept that you will have good days and bad days
- do nice things for yourself
- eat regularly and nutritiously
- maintain or increase your physical exercise
- limit the use of alcohol and drugs
- keep a journal
- be kind and gentle with yourself.
There are many different types of crime – but every crime has a victim.