During the investigation, you might have questions about how things are progressing. To get this information, you can ask the police investigator.

If you want to be kept informed about the case, you must tell the police when you report the crime.

Your report details

As a victim of crime, you should have received the Information for Victims of Crime booklet.

You can also download the booklet (PDF, 511.8 KB)

On the inside cover there is a section called ‘My report details’. Here you can find the name and contact details of the police investigator working on your case. Sometimes police will mail this booklet to you.

If the investigator is not available you can ask to speak with a Police Victim Contact Officer.

Victim Contact Officers are police officers who provide support, advice and information to victims of crime. Victim Contact Officers are available Monday to Friday at the following police stations and specialist branches for police investigations.

Eastern Adelaide7322 4917
Northen District8207 9358
Southern District8392 9013
Western District8207 6421
Barossa8522 0447
Eyre & Western (Port Lincoln)8688 3020
Eyre & Western (Whyalla)8648 8020
Far North8648 5019
Hills Fleurieu8398 1711
Limestone Coast8735 1051
Murray Mallee8535 6023
Yorke Mid-North8638 4028
Specialist branches
Major Crime (homicide)8172 5344
Major Crash Investigation (fatal and serious road crashes)8207 6525

You can also check the South Australia Police website.

Police report number

You should also have be given the report number. You can use this number when asking police for information about your case.

There may be things the police cannot tell you. They cannot tell you things that might stop the crime being solved.

Tracking the status of a crime report

South Australia Police have created a smartphone app you can download to check the status of your crime report.

You can also visit the SAPOL website, enter your police report number and report date to see the status of your crime report.

Need more support?

There are a lot of different services who can help you as a victim of crime