In some rare cases, you may be eligible for different payments.

Discretionary payments

The Attorney-General can make other payments to help victims recover from the effects of a crime.

For example, a victim who is frightened after a break in could ask for a discretionary payment to increase the security on their home.

Discretionary payments are not made to replace stolen property such as vehicles.

You should speak with the Commissioner for Victims' Rights to see if you might be eligible for a discretionary payment.

Ex gratia payments

An ex gratia payment is a payment made, even though there is no legal obligation to make a payment.

An ex gratia payment can be made by the Attorney-General where:

  • a prosecution cannot go ahead - this may be due to lack of evidence or the age or mental capacity of the offender
  • a prosecution goes ahead but fails and the victim can prove injury or financial loss as a direct result of the crime
  • the timeframe for making a victims of crime compensation claim has expired but there is significant emotional and psychological, physical or financial injury.

You should always seek legal advice first and speak with the Commissioner for Victims' Rights for more information.

National Redress Scheme

The National Redress Scheme is available for adult victims of institutional child sexual abuse.

More information about applying is available on the National Redress Scheme website.