Where can I get help?

Services have been grouped into four categories to help you.

      • Support services for victims
      • Counselling, information and health services
      • Legal service
      • Security advice

Index  Support services for victims l Counselling l  Legal services l  Security advice   

Each list is in alphabetical order. You will need to decide which of these agencies could be useful to you.

References to office hours are to the period between 9am and 5pm from Monday to Friday.

Interpreting services can be obtained by phoning 1300 655 082 at any time. If you are dealing with the police, courts or any other agency let them know as soon as possible if you need an interpreter. If there is a charge for interpreting, these may be met by the agency you are dealing with, such as the police.

You can also search for services via SAcommunity, a health and community services resource

Support services for victims

Aged Rights Advocacy Service

Metropolitan callers phone 8232 5377 during office hours  

Country callers only phone 1800 700 600 during office hours (not available on mobile phones)

A service to assist older people who have experienced any form of abuse from family, friends or anyone close to them.  ARAS will support the older person to access the help he or she needs to stop further abuse from occurring.

Centre for Disability Health

The Centre for Disability Health (CDH) is a statewide, primary health care service for people with disability who are registered with Disability Services.

CDH has two clinic locations:

      • North East Clinic, Modbury
      • Highgate Clinic, Fullarton

The North East Clinic acts as the central point for all new referrals to CDH.

Phone 8397 8100 to make an enquiry or an appointment.

Child Abuse Report Line

Phone 13 14 78 at any time.

This is a 24 hour number for notifications of child abuse.

Compassionate Friends

Phone 1300 064 068

The Compassionate Friends is an organisation which offers support to bereaved parents irrespective of the age of the child at death or the manner of death.

Coroner's Court Social Worker  

Phone 8204 0600 during office hours.

The Coroners Court Social Worker provides counselling and support in the time following a person’s death.  This may include information about helping children cope with death.  The social worker also provides information on the Coroners Court and helps with preparations for inquests.

Department for Correctional Services Victim Services Unit

Phone 1800 370 550 during office hours.

The Victim Services Unit in the Department for Correctional Services maintains the Victim Register.  The Department also runs programs to raise offenders’ awareness of the impact their actions had on victims.  The Unit also provides victims with the opportunity to have their say when the Department makes decisions on home detention and other forms of pre-release.

Domestic Violence Helpline

Phone 1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732)

24 hours a day seven days a week

This service provides telephone counselling support and referrals to anyone who is experiencing domestic violence and/or sexual assault

Domestic Violence and Aboriginal Family Violence Gateway

Phone 24 hour: 1800 800 098

Free call: 1300 782 200

This service can:

      • help you with safe accommodation
      • provide telephone counselling
      • refer you to other services

Homicide Victims Support Group

The Homicide Victim Support Group (HVSG) is a self-help group that meets once a month (except December (when an annual vigil is held) and January) at 7 pm. The group is for those who have suffered the loss of a family member or a friend through homicide (murder or manslaughter).  

For further information on the HVSG please contact the mobile number 0423 411 055. For afterhours assistance contact Lifeline on 13 11 14

Police Victim Contact Officers

Phone your Police Local Service Area office, listed in the White Pages of the phone book.

Victim contact officers can provide victims with information about their case or compensation, and can link them to the prosecution authorities and other sections of the police force.  They help to protect victims’ rights and can provide referrals to victim support agencies.

Road Trauma Support Team

The Road Trauma Support Team (RTST) of South Australia provides free counselling and support for people who have been affected by road trauma, whether directly or indirectly. This may include but is not limited to, vehicle occupants, family members, friends, work colleagues, witnesses, bystanders and emergency service personnel.

RTST also provide assistance with accommodation when families need to stay in Adelaide for hospital or rehabilitation visits, Court or Coronial proceedings and meetings with SAPOL investigators or the DPP. RTST may not be able to facilitate every request for this service and need the community to understand that assistance with accommodation is subject to availability, budget constraints and exclusively at the discretion of RTST.

To make enquiries, seek assistance with counselling and support or accommodation phone Free call 1800 069 528



Victim Support Service

The Victim Support Service (VSS) provides free and confidential help to adult victims of crime, witnesses, their family, and friends across South Australia. The Victim Support Service is a non-government, non-profit organisation that provides many services including counselling, provision of information about victims’ rights and victim compensation, court support and referral to other agencies where appropriate. Help with interpreters can be organised. 

The VSS has an office in Adelaide and offices in seven country areas: Mt Gambier, Murray Bridge, Port Augusta, Port Lincoln, Port Pirie, Riverland and Whyalla.

For support call Helpdesk: 1800 VICTIM (1800 842 846)

or email helpdesk@victimsa.org

Witness Assistance Service

Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions

Phone 8207 1529 during office hours

The Witness Assistance Service is part of the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions.  It provides information about, and support during, the legal process, and referral to relevant services for victims of crime and their close family members or carers.  The Witness Assistance Service (Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions) is only involved where the Director of Public Prosecutions has involvement in the case.

Yarrow Place Rape and Sexual Assault Service

Metropolitan callers phone 8226 8777 during office hours, and phone 8226 8787 outside of office hours

Country callers can call 1800 817 421 anytime.

Yarrow Place provides a variety of services for people who have been raped or sexually assaulted and for their partners, families and friends.  Services are for people aged 16 years and over at the time of the rape or sexual assault.  Services include a 24 hour crisis response service for recent rape or sexual assault.  This can include medical care, forensic medical examinations, counselling and advocacy.  (People aged under 16 years should contact the Child Protection Services of either the Women’s and Children’s Hospital or Flinders Medical Centre.)

Yarrow Place also provides follow-up medical care and ongoing counselling, training for workers, prevention programs, a group work and seminar program, and systems advocacy. It conducts seminars about the criminal justice system for people who have experienced a rape or sexual assault.  The seminar includes:

      • information about the criminal justice system
      • an opportunity to ask questions
      • an opportunity to express concerns about reporting to the police and going to court
      • a video about giving evidence in court
      • a resource kit.

Seminars are offered free of charge.  For more information contact the duty worker at Yarrow Place.  See also www.yarrowplace.sa.gov.au/

 [ back to top ]

Counselling, information and health services  


Aboriginal Health Services

Aboriginal Family Support Services

Phone 8205 1500

Nunkuwarrin Yunti of South Australia

Phone 8406 1600

This service also gives contact information on other health services in the metropolitan area, for example, The Parks Health Service,  Noarlunga Aboriginal Health Service and Northern Metro Regional Health Service.

Weena Mooga Aboriginal Women’s Group

(Ceduna) Phone 8625 2183

Ceduna Koonibba Health Service

Phone 8626 2600

Buttlingarra Aboriginal Corporation

(Whyalla Norrie) Phone 8649 2722

Pika Wiya Health Service

(Port Augusta) Phone 8642 9999

Nganampa Health Council

(Alice Springs) Phone 8952 5300


Phone 8202 5190

Uniting Communities' Bfriend program provides social support for people of all ages who are wondering about their sexuality/gender identitiy and people who are newly identifying as same sex attracted/gay/lesbian/bisexual/transgender/intersex/queer.

This free service offers peer support, facilitating groups with other newly identifying people, workshops, resources, and opportunities for social connection.

Carer Support

If you are caring for a victim who has a physical or mental disability, or who is frail and elderly, your local carer support service may be able to organise extra respite for you and some emotional and practical support.

Child Protection Services

The CPS sees children where there is a suspicion of physical, emotional or sexual abuse or neglect. Referrals come from the police, hospitals, doctors, social workers, courts, parents and relatives.

The CPS provides consultation, assessment, medical examinations and therapy.

Phone CPS, Flinders Medical Centre 8204 5485

Phone CPS, Lyell McEwin Hospital 8182 9000

Phone CPS, Women’s and Children’s Hospital 8161 7000

Crisis Care

Phone 13 16 11 outside of office hours

Crisis Care provides and after-hours response to immediate child abuse and neglect matters, and crisis situations relating to children who are under the Guardianship of the Minister

Ethnic Link Services

Phone 8241 0201 during office hours or 1800 648 598

Ethnic Link serves people who are from non-English speaking backgrounds.  They can help frail elderly people, younger people with disabilities and those who care for them get the services
they need.

Department for Families and Communities

Listed in the White Pages of the phone book

The Department for Families and Communities provides referral and information services for child, youth and family services as well as financial planning and support through Families SA .  Offices are located in various suburbs and regional centres.

Q Life

Phone 1800 184 527

The service is a free and confidential telephone information and support services for LGBTQI people.

If switchboard is unattended please call Switchboard Victoria 03 9663 2939 or Beyondblue 1300 224 636.


Phone 13 11 14 at any time

Lifeline provides a 24 hour, seven days a week telephone counselling service for people in crisis.  It is also able to provide referrals to other agencies.

Mens Line Australia

Phone 1300 78 99 78 at any time.

Mens Line Australia (MLA) is a professional telephone support information and referral service for men

Migrant Resource Centre

Phone 8217 9500 (Adelaide office)

The Migrant Resource Centre assists new arrivals to settle into the social, economic and cultural life of South Australia.  They provide specialist support for migrants and refugees in crisis. 

Please let the staff at the Centre know if you need an interpreter.

Northern Area Migrant Resource Centre (Salisbury)

Phone 8256 5700

Murraylands Migrant Resource Centre (Murray Bridge)

Phone 8535 5600

Mount Gambier Migrant Resource Centre

Phone 8726 4800

Naracoorte Migrant Centre

Phone 8762 2955

Tatiara Migrant Resource Centre (Bordertown)

Phone 8752 1000

Riverland Migrant Resource Centre (Renmark)

Phone 8586 5745

Migrant Health Service

Phone 1800 635 566

Return to Work SA

Phone 13 18 55 during office hours

TTY call

If you are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment you can call Return to Work SA through the National Relay Service (NRS):

      • TTY users can phone 133677 then ask for 13 18 55
      • Speak & Listen (speech-to-speech) users can phone 1300 555 727 then ask for 13 18 55
      • Internet relay users can connect to NRS on www.relayservice.com.au then ask for 13 18 55

WorkCover provides injury prevention and safety awareness information for employers and employees.  It also provides compensation, rehabilitation, medical costs and return-to-work initiatives for injured workers, subject to an assessment process.

SAMSN - Survivors & Mates Support Network 

SAMSN is a not-for-profit charity co-founded by male survivors for male survivors. Their mission is to build an Australia-wide support network, so that no man experiencing the negative impacts of childhood sexual abuse has to suffer in shame, silence or isolation. SAMSN aims to ensure that any male survivor of childhood sexual abuse can access the support and resources they need to help them deal with the past and live a full and rewarding life. 

Helpline - Monday to Friday 9am - 5 pm 

Ph: 1800 472 672 

Email: support@samsn.org.au 

Web: www.samsn.org.au 

Women’s Information Service

Metropolitan callers phone 8303 0590

Country callers phone 1800 188 158

The Women’s Information Service provides information and referrals for women on any subject.

Working Women’s Centre of SA Inc.

Phone 8410 6499 during office hours

Toll Free No: 1800 652 697

The Centre is open Mondays, Wednesdays,

Thursdays and Fridays.  On Tuesdays there is an answering service.  It is best to phone to discuss your problem with the enquiry officer first.

The Working Women’s Centre provides information, advice and advocacy to women who have experienced problems at work, including sexual harassment, workplace bullying, unfair dismissal and workplace safety issues.

Youth Health Line

Phone 1300 13 17 19

Web:  www.cyh.com

 [ back to top ]

 Legal Services  


Aboriginal Legal Rights Movement

Phone 8113 3777 during office hours

The Aboriginal Legal Rights Movement (ALRM) provides free legal information, advice and representation to Aboriginal people.  Services for victims of crime include Family Law, Civil Law and Victims Compensation.

There are ALRM offices in Adelaide, Ceduna, Coober Pedy, MurrayBridge, Port Augusta and Port Lincoln.

Community Legal Centres

Community Legal Centres provide advice on a range of matters including family law, property settlements and some civil matters to people who are assessed as being unable to secure legal assistance from other sources.  Please contact your local centre.

Law Society of South Australia

Phone 8229 0200 during office hours

The Law Society can refer you to a lawyer for advice.  You could also write to the Law Society,

GPO Box 2066 Adelaide SA 5001.

Legal Services Commission of South Australia (Legal Aid)

Telephone Advice Line 1300 366 424

9am–4.30pm Monday to Friday

For Child Support Help phone 8111 5576

If you are deaf, or have a hearing impairment or speech impariment, you can contact the Legal Services Commission through the National Relay Service

  • TTY users phone 133 677 for 1300 366 424
  • Speak and Listen users phone 1300 555 727 for 1300 366 424
  • Internet relay users connect to the NRS and then ask for 1300 366 424

Free and confidential legal advice by telephone and by appointment. Referrals to other services where appropriate.  Interpreters available on request.  Please note that legal aid is not available for victims compensation applications.

Women’s Legal Service

Phone 8221 5553 or Freecall 1800 816 349

Mon, Tues, Thurs & Fri from 10am - 4 pm and 6.oo pm - 8.00 pm on Tues

The Women’s Legal Service provides free and confidential legal information, advice and assistance.  Referrals to other services are offered where appropriate.  Interpreter assisted appointments can be arranged.

  [ back to top ]

Security Advice


Home Assistance Scheme

SAPOL Home Assist Program

The SAPOL Home Assist Program is a Commonwealth Home Support Program (CHSP) that is funded by the Australian Government. The aim of the program is to improve home security and personal safety of HACC eligible service users to allow them to remain safely in their homes. SAPOL work together with local Councils, health services and other agencies to support HACC service users.

To be eligible for SAPOL Home Assist you must be:

      • 65 years and over; or
      • Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander aged 50 years and over or
      • under 65 years living with a disability; or
      • carers of people who meet these criteria.

For more information please contact the SAPOL Home Assist Coordinator on 7322 3211.

Crime Prevention advice

The police can provide information and advice on home, personal and business security.

For further information contact your nearest police station or visit www.police.sa.gov.au

  [ back to top ]