As a victim of crime, you are entitled to a lot of information - you just have to ask for it.
We spoke to a number of South Australian services who help victims access information.
A word from the Commissioner
As a victim, you can access a range of information including:
- the offender's name
- the official charge
- decisions about changing or dropping charges
- if an offender applies for bail - and the outcome
- the court outcome, including details of the sentence
- when an offender is released from custody or completes community service
- details about compensation and restitution.
Always tell police or your Victim Contact Officer that you want to be kept updated with what's happening in your case.
You should also register on the appropriate Victim Register as soon as you can.
If you don't think you are being told important information, contact our office.
You have a right to be kept informed.