Giving Feedback or Lodging Complaints

The Declaration of principles governing the treatment of victims in the criminal justice system applies to all South Australian public agencies and officials.
If you feel that you have been treated appropriately or wish to make suggestions on how to improve the way victims are treated, your comments are welcome. Please direct your comments or suggestions as explained below.
As a victim of crime, you are entitled to complain if you believe that your rights have not been met and/or that you have been treated inappropriately. If you feel that your rights have not been recognised or have been given inadequate recognition there are a number of things you can do. These are explained below.

Police officers

You should contact the Victim Contact Officer or a supervising officer at your local police station. Telephone your local police station (see the White Pages) or
If you are not satisfied with the response that you receive or you have more than a minor grievance you should contact either:

• The Commissioner of Police, GPO Box 1539 Adelaide, South Australia 5001; or
• The Police Complaints Authority, GPO Box 464 Adelaide, South Australia 5001. Telephone 8226 8677.


Public prosecutors

You should contact (in writing) Director of Public Prosecutions, GPO Box 464 Adelaide, 5001.  See also:


Supreme Court of South Australia - 
You should contact (in writing) the Honourable Chief Justice, 301 King William Street, Adelaide, SA 5000
District Court of South Australia -
You should contact (in writing) His Honour the Chief Judge, GPO Box 2465 Adelaide, SA 5001


Magistrates Courts in South Australia - 
You should contact (in writing) the Chief Magistrate, PO Box 6115 Halifax Street, Adelaide, SA 5000.

Other public officials

You should contact the Ombudsman:
• by telephone on 8226 8699
• in person or in writing at 50 Grenfell Street, Adelaide, SA 5000.
The Ombudsman cannot investigate:
• Actions of a Minister or a Judge
• Actions of legal advisers to the Crown in South Australia
• Most employer/employee relationships
• Actions of private persons, businesses or companies
• Conduct of the South Australia Police
• Actions of the Police Complaints Authority

Health and Community Services Complaints Commissioner

The Health and Community Services Complaints Commissioner:

• helps people – service users, carers and service providers – resolve complaints about health and community services, including child protection services, when a direct approach to the service provider is either unreasonable, or has not succeeded

• covers health and community services across the public, private and non-government sectors

• handles complaints confidentially and impartially monitors and reports complaint trends

• makes recommendations to improve safety and quality

• is an independent statutory officer

• operates a telephone enquiry service

– Monday to Thursday 10am to 4.00pm

– phone 08 8226 8666

– toll free in regional South Australia 1800 232 007

– fax 08 8266 8620

Last Modified: 31 January 2012
Commissioner For Victims’ Rights

If you are unsure of your rights, you can also contact the Commissioner for Victims’ Rights:

• by telephone on 8204 9635

• in writing to GPO Box 464 Adelaide SA 5001

• by email

See also